Friday, January 6, 2023

Resting in Resurrection

 “but I will lie with my fathers, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their buryingplace. And he said, I will do as thou hast said.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭47‬:‭30‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jacob made Joseph pledge to him to not bury him in Egypt, “but when I go to rest with my fathers.  I want you to carry me out of Egypt and bury me where they are buried.”  That burying place was Machpelah which Abraham purchased as the burying place.  Why did this matter to Jacob?  He was looking forward to the time of resurrection!  Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all buried here, near what would be Jerusalem, where centuries later Jesus would be crucified, buried and raised from the dead.  On the day Jesus was nailed to the Cross, the tombs nearby opened, and many holy people arose in resurrection life and were seen walking about the city!  In faith, Jacob asked to be buried near the spot where the Messiah would be crucified!  God honoured that faith and raised many holy people to life in order to glimpse the city they had only dreamed of!  Jacob knew the fulfilment of the promise would be in Canaan, not Egypt.  Let’s in the new covenant be a living sacrifice to our Messiah!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment