Friday, May 5, 2023

The Suffering of the Son of Man

 “And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.”

‭‭Mark‬ ‭8‬:‭31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

From then on, Jesus began to tell His disciples that He, the Son of Man, was destined to go to Jerusalem and suffer great injustice from the elders, leading priests, and religious scholars. He also explained that He would be killed and three days later be raised to life again.  This rejection and injustice refers to the beatings, mockings and Illegal trial Jesus endured.  To have the Messiah suffer was contrary to every belief system among the Jews.  The Messiah was to be the King of Israel, surrounded with glory, not suffering.  Jesus had prophesied His death all along and each time He did that, the disciples were confused and unable to understand.  So each time Jesus took the opportunity to explain what being His follower really entailed.  Even prophets of old had prophesied it - The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment