Friday, January 19, 2024

Grace, Not Law, Our Only Hope of Salvation

 ”And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.“

‭‭Ruth‬ ‭4‬:‭6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

At this, the kinsman-redeemer baulked, and said, “In that case, I’m not able to redeem it for myself without risking my own inheritance.  Take my purchase option of redemption yourself, for I can’t do it.”  The summary statement of the law is, “I can’t do it.”  Grace, not law-keeping, is our only hope of salvation.  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit.  This nearer relative desired to preserve his name by not marrying the Moabite woman and his name is lost.  Boaz, on the other hand, not only preserved his name but also had his name inscribed upon the pillar in the temple of Yahweh built by Solomon.  Boaz prefigured Jesus, our gracious Kinsman-Redeemer Who has done for us what the law couldn’t.  It is not in seeking to preserve our own name but exalting our Lord Jesus’s faithfulness, that we receive an eternal name and are placed as pillars in the temple of our God.  Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment